Read our terms and conditions
Be Part of Research is funded by the Department of Health and Social Care (DHSC) and delivered by the National Institute for Health and Care Research (NIHR) in conjunction with the UK-wide health research agencies of Public Health Agency Northern Ireland, NHS Research Scotland and Health and Care Research Wales.
Specific queries can be made through the information contacts listed at the end of this document.
By accessing and using the Be Part of Research website, you accept that you will comply with the following Terms and Conditions, that take effect from the date you first use the site. If you do not agree to these Terms and Conditions, it is recommended that you do not use our site.
Be Part of Research provides three services:
- UK-wide study search to enable the public to find health research studies that may be of interest to them and provide contact details for the study team
- Information for the public to learn about taking part in research
- Registry function to enable volunteers to register with Be Part of Research and indicate the areas of research they’re interested in. The Be Part of Research team can contact them about studies that may be of interest to them
Data within this service is owned by DHSC and they are the Data Controller. The following additional terms also apply to your use of our site:
You can only create a Be Part of Research account if you are aged 18 or over. By creating an account, you can easily register your interest in health and care research. As a volunteer, you provide personal information about yourself and give consent to be contacted about research studies.
Once you have created an account you may be signposted to a potentially suitable research study in line with the information you have shared with the service. Please note that registering your details to be contacted, withdrawing your consent to be contacted and/or deciding whether or not to take part in a research study will not impact on your medical care in any way.
The Be Part of Research team will only contact you about studies which are ethically approved and supported by the NIHR. These studies may be run by non-commercial organisations, including the NHS, universities and academic institutions or commercial companies running health research, such as clinical research organisations and pharmaceutical companies.
Research is often undertaken within NHS hospital trusts, but may also be run in other places, including GP surgeries, private clinics and schools depending on the type of research being undertaken.
Should you be interested in finding out more or taking part in the research studies that the Be Part of Research team highlights to you, the research team running that study will provide you with full details so that you can decide if you want to take part.
If you do create an account with Be Part of Research you are expected to follow and agree to standard information security good practice, including:
- not sharing your account with anyone else
- choosing secure passwords and ensuring multi-factor authentication is set up on your account
- ensuring only you access your account; if you permit any other person to use your account, you do so entirely at your own risk
- maintaining your volunteer record, updating the record with any change of details as and when required
- agreeing that the study team can advise the Be Part of Research team which studies you have expressed an interest in taking part in and which you have enrolled on to enable them to measure the success of the Be Part of Research Registry
- only accessing our service using a secure internet connection and ensuring your device has its own virus protection software. For further information please visit the GOV.UK Cyber Aware website
Only researchers approved by the Be Part of Research team may use this service, researchers may be NHS staff, academic staff or researchers in commercial or non-commercial organisations. Approved researchers will work closely with the Be Part of Research team to provide accurate, detailed and up-to-date information about their studies and must:
- respond to volunteers within the timescales agreed for their study with the Be Part of Research team, to ensure they provide a good experience of the service for volunteers
- include Be Part of Research as a recruitment tool in their approved Research Ethics Committee application
- provide an appropriate mechanism for the Be Part of Research team to direct volunteers to, e.g., a study website, pre-screening questionnaire or named study team members. This mechanism will be agreed with the Be Part of Research team before authorisation is given for the study to use the Be Part of Research registry to recruit participants
- be listed on the NIHR Clinical Research Network Portfolio and/or be in receipt of NIHR funding for the study
- provide success rate details to the Be Part of Research team by identifying numbers of referred users who express an interest in a study, and of those, how many go on to enrol and take part in that study.
- provide details about the study to feature on the Be Part of Research website with appropriate ethical approval if necessary
- ensure that the study is registered on ISRCTN or ClinicalTrials.gov (commercial studies, or not included in the NIHR portfolio) and that the information on those sites is kept up to date
- ensure all personal information of volunteers is only used by partner organisations for the purpose of their organisation’s role in administering the service.
All staff managing Be Part of Research will ensure that the interests of volunteers are promoted and protected to try to ensure a positive experience of volunteering to take part in research, and to protect the integrity of the health and care research system.
Only the Be Part of Research team will access any personal information about volunteers for the purpose of matching volunteers to opportunities in health research studies using the Be Part of Research registry and any associated activities and nothing more. All information and documentation accessed through the Be Part of Research registry must be treated with the strictest confidence at all times and managed under a duty of confidence in line with prevailing data protection legislation.
This service may contain links to other sites. We are not responsible for the content of any third party website and a link to another site in no way constitutes our endorsement of the contents therein.
You may link to the Be Part of Research website, including via the widget we provide, but you must do so in a way that is fair and legal and does not damage our reputation or take advantage of it. You must not establish a link in such a way as to suggest any form of association, approval or endorsement on our part. We undertake tracking of the widget and links through Google Analytics to analyse the source of visitors to the Be Part of Research site.
Although NIHR CRNCC makes every effort to ensure that all information on Be Part of Research is accurate and available in a timely manner, the Service is provided "as is" and we cannot guarantee that
- the information is accurate, complete or up-to-date
- this service will meet your particular requirements or needs
- access to, or use of, the same will be uninterrupted or completely secure
If you find inaccurate information please let us know by contacting firstname.lastname@example.org
We endeavour to provide high levels of service availability. However availability at any point, particularly out of support hours, is not guaranteed. Support is limited to core service hours (9am to 5pm Monday to Friday, excluding bank holidays).
The Be Part of Research website also lists as much of the research taking place in the UK as possible to enable volunteers to search for studies they may be interested in taking part in; this study search element receives study data from the following registers:
The study details in Be Part of Research are not changed from the original source feed and they contain a link back to that original source. Be Part of Research allows the public to search for research studies taking place in the UK from one site. The system does not have the functionality to add, remove, change or delete any of the data provided by ClinicalTrials.gov and ISRCTN.
As the registers providing the study data are external to Be Part of Research, the service cannot accept responsibility or liability for the content of the information provided.
Some study details also come from the NIHR Central Portfolio Management System (CPMS), which is not publicly accessible. This information cannot be removed, changed or deleted by the Be Part of Research team.
If you become aware of any breaches in use of this service and the data involved, then you should report it to email@example.com
The names, images and logos identifying the Be Part of Research website are proprietary marks of the NIHR and the Department of Health and Social Care.
Further sources of information are:
For reporting of anything suspicious or wrong doings in the use of this service e.g. a breach in how this service should be used: firstname.lastname@example.org
For queries about these terms and conditions: email@example.com
The Be Part of Research website and material relating to Government information, products and services (or to third party information, products and services), is provided 'as is', without any representation or endorsement made and without warranty of any kind whether express or implied, including but not limited to the implied warranties of satisfactory quality, fitness for a particular purpose, non-infringement, compatibility, security and accuracy.
We do not warrant that the functions contained in the material contained in this site will be uninterrupted or error free, that defects will be corrected, or that this site or the server that makes it available are free of viruses or represent the full functionality, accuracy, reliability of the materials.
In no event will we be liable for any loss or damage including, without limitation, indirect or consequential loss or damage, or any loss or damages whatsoever arising from use or loss of use of, data or profits arising out of or in connection with the use of bepartofresearch.nihr.ac.uk.
Although we may from time to time monitor or review discussions, chat, postings, transmissions, bulletin boards and the like on Be Part of Research, we are under no obligation to do so and assume no responsibility or liability arising from the content of any such locations nor for any error, omission, infringement, defamation, obscenity, or inaccuracy contained in any information within this location hosted on nihr.ac.uk.
These terms and conditions shall be governed by and construed in accordance with the laws of England and Wales. Any dispute arising under these terms and conditions shall be subject to the exclusive jurisdiction of the courts of England and Wales.
The terms and conditions for Be Part of Research were prepared on 08th August 2023.